Have you heard the term “Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)” before and don’t understand what it means? Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place. Many of our patients come to us with the same question. It is important to keep in mind that drug and alcohol addiction recovery isn’t a one size fits all treatment solution. While one method of treatment for substance use disorder may work for one person, it might not be the right solution for another.
What is Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)?
In simple terms, Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) is the use of a combination of medications such as Methadone, Naltrexone, or Buprenorphine with therapy and counseling to treat substance use disorder. The treatment option is commonly used to treat opioid use disorders. They also help cut cravings from codeine, morphine, and heroin, as well as from semi-synthetic opioids such as hydrocodone and oxycodone.
Medication-Assisted Treatment offers what is called a “whole-patient approach.” These are personalized treatments programs used by top rehab centers of Los Angeles to help reduce cravings, withdrawal, pain, and other symptoms associated with addiction. MAT also have addresses behaviors that may contribute to your addiction and relapse while also offering you support for a lasting recovery.
Is Medication-Assisted Treatment Effective?
Yes, MAT has been shown to be a highly effective and beneficial treatment option for people recovering from substance use disorder. The goal of the treatment program is for you to achieve full recovery. In addition to alleviating withdrawal symptoms, Medication-Assisted Treatment offers many benefits to patients, such as:
- Increasing the chance of finishing your treatment and maintaining recovery
- Reducing the risk of death due to overdose
- Allow you to regain a sense of control, often supporting enriched relationships, meeting life goals, childcare, and employment
- Offering better birth results in pregnant women that are suffering from opioid use disorder.
- Reducing health-related risks such as Hepatitis C and HIV
For the people who have tried other addiction treatment programs with little or no success, this treatment method could be a helpful addition to standard counseling approaches of talk therapy.
How To Decide If MAT is Appropriate For Your Addiction Treatment
There are actually no set of guidelines to decide if it is necessary to use medications for recovery. It is important to remember that most rehab centers Los Angeles, CA use MAT in combination with behavioral therapies and the best substance abuse treatment programs to treat your addiction effectively. Below are a few things most drug rehab treatment centers in California consider before deciding if it is appropriate for you.
- An assessment of the severity and the type of substance use disorder you are suffering from are major determining factors.
- Advice from a LA drug rehab therapist and a medical professional should be one of the major factors in your decision to use MAT.
- You may also want to incorporate MAT into your treatment program if recovery if you are suffering from co-occurring disorders.
- If you have a history of failed attempts at recovery, MAT may be beneficial to you.
Rehab Centers Los Angeles CA
At Profound LA, our team takes a whole-patient approach to the treatment of substance use disorder by proving MAT in combination with other evidence-based addiction treatment options like behavioral therapy counseling, among many others. For more information about MAT and other treatment options, contact us today.